Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Tis the Season...

Well I was here over a week ago and promised to return with some vacation pictures shortly. I did not want to get all caught up in Christmas and forget to share those memories. Well, it is a week later, I am still trying to finish my Christmas cards and get ready for our annual Christmas Eve party and I still have not posted anything. So, rather than dig through the vacation pictures now (I will do it later, honest), I thought that I would just share a few snapshots of our holiday preparations.


The Bat Kids decorated our tree this year! It was quite cute. Andrew gave Brenna this costume last year for Christmas and I love it when they get dressed up together and play.



This picture was taken before the 9 1/2 foot tree (that I begged Todd to get) fell over. We were almost finished decorating it when Todd went to check on some football scores. The kids were playing with their nativity scenes. (I love it when they do that.) And I was adding some last minute ornaments. I looked up and saw it starting to fall. I jumped up, grabbed it (taking out only one sizeable branch) and yelled for Todd. We spent the better part of the next house getting the tree secured in the tree stand, straightening it, and then securing it to the wall. It is hard to believe but the only casualty was the one branch. We did not break any ornaments!


In keeping with the Colvin family traditions, we made our gingerbread houses. Ok, in truth I baked a ton of gingerbread, but for the first time ever, did not make a house myself. I started one, but the dogs got a hold of the pieces before I finished. I was going to bake another one, but we just do not have enough time. I was very disappointed when I realized that I would not get one done, but as Todd pointed out, the kids made theirs, and that is what is really important.

Since we have moved to MA (and do not have Liz right next door anymore), Brenna has been allowed to invite a friend over to make the little houses. This year she invited her friend Julia. The girls seemed to really enjoy making the houses (and eating their mistakes)!




Andrew made his house at the same time. His house made me smile. He put anything and everything on it. Each time he would put something different on the house, Brenna would ask him what it was. For example, she asked, "Why do you have a tree on top of the house?" To which he responded, "Because a tree fell on top of the house. That can happen, you know."
Not only did I get a kick out of watching him build it, but it reminded me of many years ago when Kevin (who I think was in 7th grade) made a house with reindeer and various gingerbread people falling off of the roof. And there was Emily with her color coordinated and symmetrical house. I think that it must be a boy thing!




We heard a rumor last week that Santa was going to be in Braintree (where Todd works) one evening. So, I headed up with the kids on day after school and met Todd. I was pleasantly surprised that no one else was there to see the Big Guy when we got there. The kids kids sat and chatted with him for a bit, and patiently posed as we took some pictures.

I was not standing close enough to hear their conversation so when they were done, I asked them what they had asked for. Andrew pointed out that he only asked him for one thing, Lego Rock Band. When I commented that it was nice that he only asked for one thing, he explained that Santa had already gotten his letter (in which he asked for a few more toys) so there really was no need to talk about it. Brenna asked for something called a Hex Bug (which was not in her letter to Santa and I, of course, had never heard of it before). As it turns out, it is a robotic (if that is the right word) bug which responds to sound. I later found out that one of her friends had brought one to school recently and that was where she had gotten the idea from.

Well, I am off to work some more on my cards.... I will be back..... Don't know when yet... But if I do not post again before Christmas, I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas with your families. We love and miss all of our family and friends and will think of you often during this week.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Love,
Todd, Shannon, Brenna & Andrew





1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, love the gingerbread houses. Never tried that, we keep threatening, but never get around to it.

    ReplyDelete